October 26, 2008

Tea Time: The Medium

So I'm going to start a new segment that I'll do weekly called Tea Time. Basically, it's like Kotaku's 'Tell Us Damnit!' where they give a topic for everyone to talk about. However, mine is called 'Tea Time' and features the amazing picture of the old lady above!

This week's topic is: The Medium.

We're all heard the terms 'hardcore' and 'casual'. They're tossed around the gaming community like crazy and developers use them to categorize their audiences. But what I want to know is where is the line drawn? When is it decided as to what makes someone 'hardcore' and what makes someone 'casual'? But most importantly...Where's the medium?

It seems that the community has forgotten general gamers- people who have lives yet play games that aren't pick-up-and-play games. People like me who aren't "hardcore" in the sense of spending hours upon hours perfecting my skills at a game but who want something with a bit of substance.

So you tell me, where's the line? What is 'hardcore', 'casual', and 'average' to you? Or do you hate these terms?

Speak your mind! It's tea time!

No comments: